Monday, October 19, 2009

New York trip...post 1

I never thought after being able to go to New York last April with Taylor on her band trip to play at Carnegie Hall that I would again so SOON be able to go back! This was a different fun...fun to plan with maps and books galore....fun to travel, even the bone jarring-teeth rattling shuttle....fun sites to see and experience...FUN FRIENDS! We hit the ground almost literally running to do the things on our "list" The end of the first day was at the amazing Broadway show, Wicked. Of course we had to wear green!
We had opted for a short nap before the show and so we went out to dinner afterwards. This was at Ellen's Stardust Diner where the waiters and waitresses all sing 50's music when not working the tables. A fun way to end the evening.
During the first day we spent a lot time seeing sites on the Upper East side and sites from favorite movies that we like to quote. Gray's Papaya is talked up in "Fools Rush In" I did like the taste of the papaya smoothie which was supposed to have great things for "digestion and keeping you regular" ??? Taking into account that I don't really like hotdogs...I have to say that even still I think the hotdogs from the vendor on the corner were better.
"You've Got Mail" is one of my favorite movies and so of course we had to visit Zabar's. We also say the brownstone where "Kathleen" lived as well as the "Shop Around the Corner" which actually was a small cheese shop! We had a lot of fun wandering the streets and beautiful weather to enjoy. We got our metro cards and tested our wits with figuring out the subway system.
The morning had begun when we landed at JFK airport at 6:30 am after sleeping very little on the overnight trip and for me having been up since 5 am the morning before, amazingly awake. After an interesting ride into the city, we stowed our luggage at the hotel and took off. First stop of the day and breakfast was Cafe Lalo (also from You've Got Mail). Though it looks like all we did was eat...and we did try many things...we walked so much that we were still hungry!




2 comments:

Patricia Peterson said...

What fun pictures!! It was the bestest type of trip ever!!!!! Your wicked picture is so much better than mine - and I wish I wasn't talking in the 'cash only' picture, but oh well. Thanks for letting me along on this trip ladies - it was awesome!

Maggie said...

I AM SUCH A BABY!!!! Just seeing these pictures makes me get all teary!!! I love you guys and this was such a great, great trip!!!!!