Monday, September 21, 2009

My Grandma

On September 22, my grandma will be 87 years old. Happy Birthday! My grandma has always been one of my favorite people and one of the people I look up to. Someone with strength, perserverance, work ethic, sense of humor, love and acceptance... I have many memories of visiting in the summer and being taken to the park for family picnics, watching her tie her shoes with only one hand, and playing games together. As a college student I was able to go and spend some weekends with her. Always a welcome change from college life (and my own cooking!) I have now had the comfort of having my girls be able to spend time at their Great Grandma's house just like I did. They love it. My Grandma has had the lasting effects from a stroke when she was only 32 and has been paralyzed on her right side. I have never seen her shy away from doing things or working. She has always outworked those of us around her and willing to go do things. Even when I visited when I had three younger children, it was her idea that we needed to take them to the park for a picnic just like they would take me when I was little. I could go on and on but suffice to say, she is an amazing lady and I love her very much! Happy Birthday again Grandma!!!
Last June, Grandma along with my Mom and Dad came down to visit. Grandma is such a good sport as you can see by the pictures. She let us repeatedly threaten to have her go swimming in her wheelchair and all. She let Bethany paint her fingernails not once but twice and even blue to match her shirt the day they left to go home. She posed in funny hats and had a caricature drawn while we were at Seaworld and braved letting Brandon "drive" the wheelchair.

No comments: